This second post in our Microsoft + OverOps blog series breaks down how to streamline your troubleshooting process with our new Azure DevOps integration.
One thing we’ve learned here at OverOps over the years is that the last thing developers want is yet another dashboard. That’s why we try to make sure that the error snapshots we capture for our users are easily accessible from within the tools they already use. This approach allows us to focus on making our core product better, while helping our customers skip the learning curve and quickly onboard new developers.
A key component of this strategy is our relationship with the Microsoft and Azure DevOps tooling ecosystem. In this post, we’ll focus on our first integration with Azure DevOps – OverOps for Azure Boards. Let’s get started!
To learn more about OverOps + Microsoft, read the previous post in this series: Streamlining Error Resolution with Microsoft Teams.
Introducing the OverOps Integration with Azure Boards
Tracking work with Kanban boards, backlogs and work items is table stakes for any development team that’s practicing agile. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a squad or a scrum team – efficient systems make for efficient project management. And Azure Boards is Microsoft’s flagship product for engineering teams to efficiently organize their work right next to their pipelines, artifacts and repos in Azure DevOps.
By integrating OverOps and Azure Boards, you can enhance your team’s existing agile workflows with deep, code-level insight from OverOps:
- Automatically create Azure Boards work items for new errors. Give your team visibility into their code as it runs in testing, staging and production. OverOps analyzes your code as it executes across the software delivery lifecycle and immediately creates work items when new and critical errors are identified.
- Assign issues to the right developer, at the right time, with the right data. For each error, see the application name and release that introduced it, including the recent code author and affected code locations. Route new issues and move them to your team’s board for quick resolution – including those that were not tested for or logged.
- Fix errors faster with deep, code-level context. OverOps turn errors into snapshots and provides developers with the complete context that’s required to resolve them.
See the stack trace, source code and variable state for every error. Capture the relevant TRACE & DEBUG level logs, and the state of the host or container from the moment of error.
Let’s walk through an example scenario:
The team has just released a new version for your backend Java application.
✅ All tests have passed.
✅ No outstanding issues were identified in staging.
✅ The logs look okay.
✅ Your APM is not reporting any issues. And then…
⚠️OverOps identifies a new swallowed NullPointerException that prevents your users from completing a key business transaction.
With this integration, a new Azure Boards work item with a snapshot of the error will automatically be generated and added to your board of choice – allowing you to easily assign it to the right developer for quick resolution.
To learn more about OverOps support for Azure DevOps:
- Read the docs.
- View the Azure Boards OverOps UDF (User Defined Function) on GitHub.
- Find instructions for how to install UDFs can be here.
Can’t wait to try the integration? Send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll help you get started.